Senior Development Officer
Mission Services of London (MSL), a Christian faith based, not-for-profit social service agency, has a full-time opening for a Senior Development Officer (SDO) focused on major and legacy gifts. This position will report to the Director of Development & Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
An SDO focused on major and legacy gifts is responsible for advancing the work of Mission Services of London, and Mission Services of London Foundation, by fostering strong relationships with prospects and donors, as well as generating philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, organizations and foundations. Approximately 80% of the SDO’s time will consist of major gift fundraising, with the remaining 20% being focused on legacy gift fundraising. An SDO will:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts of $5,000+ by engaging the principles of moves/relationship management; a typical portfolio includes 150 individual, corporate and organizational prospects for sponsorship, major and legacy gifts.
- Develop and implement donor relations and solicitation plans aimed at maximizing gift opportunities.
- 'Personally conduct outreach, including face to face, phone and virtual visits with prospects, to secure donations and meet activity/fundraising goals.
- Support colleagues and volunteers (e.g. Board of Directors) in their major/legacy fundraising outreach and stewardship activities as appropriate.
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant tax laws, investments, and major and legacy giving vehicles.
- Make consistent use of the donor database for activity record keeping, prospecting, reporting and other relationship management tasks.
- Work with other members of the Development Team and MSL staff to organize/execute on donor engagement opportunities (e.g. tours), or to craft funding proposals, grant applications, stewardship reports, etc.
- Post-secondary education in Fundraising, Business, Marketing or Public Relations from an accredited university/college (or equivalent work experience).
- 3+ years of experience in major gift and/or capital campaign fundraising, or personal sales.
- Possesses the highest level of integrity, donor confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information, tasks, and relationships.
- Results-orientation, professional presence, tact and perseverance under pressure; demonstrated success in meeting ambitious sales/fundraising goals through building and managing relationships.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, methods, practices and techniques.
- Financial literacy to interpret basic financial statements and understand relevant tax laws.
- Familiarity with deferred giving strategies, planned giving vehicles and uses (e.g. gifts of securities, multi-year pledges, bequests, etc.); ability to communicate this easily to prospective donors.
- Experience working with senior level volunteers in the planning and execution of donor engagement strategies.
- Excellent persuasion, interpersonal, problem-solving, networking and organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task and to listen actively to others.
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking experience to diverse audiences, and the ability to draft proposals or donor reports.
- Knowledge of the Canadian charitable sector, including fundraising best practices and emerging trends, and a demonstrated commitment to professional growth.
- Valid driver’s license and unlimited access to a vehicle (role requires frequent out-ofoffice and occasional out-of-town visits within a two-hour radius of London).
- Excellent skills in MS Office (including Teams, PowerPoint, Excel, Word), video conferencing software like Zoom, Internet and other forms of prospect research.
- Knowledge of Salesforce NPSP is an asset; holding a CFRE designation is an asset
- Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; expectation to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Flexibility to work out of the Administration Office full-time or some days from the office, and others from home.
- Pay Level 5.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
Mission Services of London
Director of Development & Communications
Mission Services of London invites applications from all qualified individuals. MSL is an
equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation
in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians
with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if
you require accommodation.
* We appreciate your interest, and advise that only those selected for an interview will