Camp Counsellor (December 2020 to March 2021):
The job of a Camp Counsellor involves supervision of youth who attend STEM Camp. As their counsellor you will be guiding them through STEM-related activities centered around the topics of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics with a strong focus on coding and robotics. An academic and practical foundation in these areas is a huge asset. A counselor must be fun and energetic but have good group management skills as well. Counsellors are responsible for activity setup and cleanup, organizing activities, respecting safety and health protocols and exhibiting strong leadership skills.
A successful candidate must be a Canadian citizen; currently enrolled or a graduate of a post-secondary school. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply. Some experience with online gaming, coding and robotics is an asset such as Minecraft and Scratch.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, advanced computer skills (including videoconferencing), and English proficiency. Camp Counsellors should also be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic and work well independently as well as in a group.
Specific Work Elements
Preparing for daily courses based on the subject assigned; using Kahoot! to encourage virtual classroom participation; using chat rooms within the software application to communicate with students; preparing ice breaker and break activities; and observing student progress, among others.
STEM Camp runs in-person camps when schools are on holiday break, PA Days and March Break. You are required to be available to work at a physical location during those times while the rest of the time you are working virtually. Your position is full time at 35 hrs/week, however, there is flexibility so you can attend classes, study and write exams. Full time employment converts to part time employment in mid-february, however, there are still PA Days and March Break camp to work at as part of your contract. More information will be shared if you are granted an interview.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
As a Camp Counsellor, your duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Leading activities for a group of STEM campers as assigned by Head Office; Leading inquiry and discussion surrounding those activities
- Assisting campers in learning more about STEM Camp projects;
- Creating a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers;
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions in every session with campers and your peers; coming to each session prepared
- Setting the tone by being an example for campers by actively leading camper activities, and showing an interest in each camper as s/he works through activities;
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently and fairly;
- Assuming the responsibility of leadership with consistent and specific direction in the supervision of campers;
- Using only Head Office approved websites, online tools and videos in camp activities;
- Demonstrating emotional maturity, a positive attitude, thoughtfulness and stability in decision-making;
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback;
- Providing appropriate feedback to, and communication with parents or guardians whenever needed, and immediately when emergency contact with parents/guardians is required;
- Completing all company training and abiding by all STEM Camp policies, rules and regulations;
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Management Team;
- Examining and implementing market research surrounding fall programming by phoning customers and researching educational market trends;
- Ensuring sessions are running smoothly and that both campers and counsellors are following the STEM Camp guidelines;
- Ensuring each session has the material needed to run smoothly by creating different games and activities for campers aged 5-13 to engage in as they work through the program material with their counsellors
Note: Minority candidates, including people with disabilities, aboriginal students, or otherwise representative of a minority are strongly encouraged to apply for the above positions. STEM Camp is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19.
To apply please visit our website: www.stemcamp.ca/jobs/