||Nov 14, 2023
Join the Y Aquatics Team!
Be the Spark! Join our passionate team and be the spark that ignites the potential in others. YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is one of the largest not-for-profit providers of licensed child care in Canada, offers settlement services to newcomers to Canada, operates 2 overnight camps and 16 Health & Fitness branches across Southwestern Ontario, and we have been making a positive difference in the communities we serve for over 50 years!
Why the Y?
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities. Our locations, programs and services are designed to help our members and participants grow in spirit, mind and body and are open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities.
At the YMCA
• you will feel connected to community, when your work positively influences the lives of others in so many ways
• you will meet new people, while working at one of the most respected human services organizations in the world
• you will expand your knowledge base, where you can flourish in a values-based environment
• you will have career development opportunities where you build a better future for yourself and others
• you will experience a rewarding job by helping support the building of healthy communities
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is a multi service, non-profit values-based charity that serves Windsor-Essex, Sarnia-Lambton, Chatham-Kent, London, Middlesex-Elgin, Huron-Perth, and Oxford counties.
Our services include: Childcare Services, school age programs, camp programs, health and fitness branches, community programs and newcomer services across the region. Our commitment includes a special focus on the region’s children and youth. From the kids in our camps and those participating in soccer and swimming lessons, to youth who are new to our communities from around the world, the Y is committed to helping our next generation to grow and thrive, as healthy individuals and passionate future leaders.
"Y” not join the thousands of members, employees and volunteers in the region to share our vision of a healthy community?
As we continue to grow, we have a need for the following position:
Position: Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
Start Date: Open Until Filled
Qualifications & Experience:
Required Certifications (must be current):
• Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard - Pool (current certificate required)
• Standard First Aid and CPR-C (current certificate from Lifesaving Society, Red Cross or St. John’s Ambulance)
• YMCA Swim Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (current certificate required)
• Lifesaving Instructor and Emergency First Aid Instructor an asset
• Previous lifeguard experience an asset
• Previous volunteer experience within Aquatics an asset
• Experience working with children, youth, and adults is an asset
• Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
• Current and acceptable Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening is a condition of employment for all staff and volunteers
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
• A YMCA personal membership at our health and fitness branches
• A discount on our Childcare and Camp programs
• Complimentary access to wellness and counselling services
• Vacation entitlement in accordance with the employment standards regulations
• May be entitled to up to 12 paid personal days – applicable with position and contract length
• Benefits package – applicable with position and contract length
• Be part of a caring and supportive network of people to help each other succeed
• YMCA of Southwestern Ontario policy and procedures
• Act as a YMCA ambassador, demonstrating YMCA core values in your daily work
• Responsible for lifeguard duties as trained during recreational swims, swim lessons, Aqua fitness and all other programming within the Aquatics environment
• Responsible for competent swim instruction of individual and group swimming lessons; may be required to assist with volunteer development in a co-teaching situation
• Must be actively monitoring all participants in the lesson and ready to assist participants in case of emergency
• Must be able to enter the pool at all times to assist members/program participants in case of emergency
• 95% of work time is spent in the pool or on the pool deck/waterfront in moist, humid climate conditions
• Needs to be able to manage varying amounts of weight to assist members/program participants in the water in case of emergency and to lift/use chemicals
• Attend and participate in lifeguard and swim instructor trainings as per schedule
• Record lesson participants’ progress and share with guardians
• Ensure all policies and procedures are being followed
• Be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and building a sense of belonging
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services.
As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.
Application Contact Information