||Sep 12, 2022
Full Time, Permanent
Talbotville, Ontario (Rural location)
Human Resources Manager
At Ontario Plants Propagation Limited, our vision is to be Eastern North America's premier supplier of greenhouse vegetable transplants. To help us accomplish this goal, we need to hire motivated passionate people that will support our workforce and facilities. We are seeking a Bilingual H&S Assistant to join our Human Resources team. The successful candidate will support the HR Department in managing the company’s health and safety program in all locations.
- Assist with maintaining and making recommendations for updating OPPL’s Occupational Health and Safety policies, procedures, and forms
- Joint Health and Safety committee – attend and participate in monthly meetings and conduct workplace inspections
- Participate in all site safety committees and ensure compliance to all safety guidelines and perform audit on all activities
- Monitor current conditions and help address health and safety issues, reporting on incident data to management
- Review and evaluate accidents and identify solutions to any potential negative trends
- Assist with a modified work agreement and WSIB reports
- Responsible for the collection and analysis of Health and Safety statistical info, produces reports on relevant data, identifies trends accidents/injuries
- Record and monitor accident/incident frequencies, and safety violations
- Site walkthroughs and inspections, recommend changes to inspection reports and assign corrective actions to relevant parties
- Assist with developing, reviewing, and coordinating COVID-19 (or other relevant emerging public health & safety issues) policies and procedures in accordance with local Public Health Unit policies and procedures
- Perform, maintain and review annual workplace hazard assessments, identify unsafe acts/conditions or unsafe behaviors, provide support, guidance, and recommendations for corrective actions to the management team
- Review, make recommendations and support company policies and procedures related to environmental health and safety legislation, regulations, requirements, and industry best practices
- Assist with the delivery of training programs to promote workplace health and safety, new employee orientation, safety talks, equipment lockout, etc.
- Ensure minimum health and safety posting requirements are met
- Update and maintain employee safety training tracking matrix
- Conduct bi-weekly first aid box inspection and maintain inventory of safety supplies
- Assist with onsite/offsite translation services for temporary foreign workers
- Provide accurate interpretation and translation of external and internal content from English to Spanish or vice-versa
- Assist in maintaining a safe, clean, and legally compliant workplace
- Serve as the security liaison with the Global Security Group (COFRA)
- Assist with conducting housing inspections and preparing reports
- Other duties as required/assigned
Physical Location/Working Conditions
- Completion of post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Bilingual, ability to speak and write in Spanish and English
- Ability to work overtime and after hours as needed, often with short notice
- Experience in the greenhouse industry is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills with a strong ability to build trusting relationships and work with integrity
- Professional verbal and written communication skills, both one-on-one and groups.
- Fluency in Windows / MS Office is mandatory
- A high degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability
- Excellent time management skills
How to apply
Submit your resume:
Mail: 38024 John Wise Line, St. Thomas, Ontario N5P 3T2
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Subject title: H&S Administrative Assistant
Fax: 519 637 2449
Ontario Plants Propagation Ltd provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please contact Human Resources via the methods above or at (519) 637-2119.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those meeting the requirements will be considered.
Ontario Plants Propagation Ltd has a mandatory vaccination policy to safeguard the health and safety of our employees and to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace. All employees must be vaccinated against the virus that causes COVID-19 or provide documentation for a medical exemption or other protected ground under applicable human rights legislation.
- Greenhouse environment in a rural area, own transportation required
- Must be willing and able to travel locally
- Overtime as required