Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Please note, this is a 1 year temporary full-time contract opportunity. Secondments are welcome.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and administrative units to leverage centrally-supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The WTS Services & Application Support Team is responsible for providing a broad range of 1st and 2nd level technical support for all WTS services and applications available to Western faculty, staff and students.
The Technology Support Specialist – Help Desk is a key member of the Services & Application Support Team. This role is responsible for providing 1st level technical support for all Western Technology Services (WTS) services and applications, primarily related to Western Identity Management (IDM), and also including major technologies such as Email, Telephony, Web Content Management System (WCMS) and Learning Management System (LMS). The Technology Support Specialist – Help Desk ensures that the faculty, staff and students who use these services and applications have any technical questions resolved in a timely fashion either directly by the incumbent or with assistance from 2nd level support within the team or from others within WTS.
- College diploma in an information technology field or a university degree with a minor in an information technology field
- Relevant Information Technology certifications an asset (ex: A+ certification, Microsoft Certified Professional, etc.)
- University Degree Majoring in Computer Science or an Information technology field is preferred
- 1 year experience providing technical support and customer service
- Experience providing technical support and customer service in an academic IT environment is preferred
- Previous technical support experience with Western’s major WTS services and applications such as Identity Management, Telephony, Email, WCMS and LMS is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Applies new knowledge and skills to practical use on the job; furthers learning through experience in practicing new approaches and behaviors
- Strong customer service skills to handle inquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service directly and indirectly to satisfy those expectations
- In depth Knowledge of computer system administration, including computer networks, operating systems, and application software
- Basic knowledge of email delivery technologies such as SPF records and of VoIP telephony technologies
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users from internal contacts up to senior management
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures to support campus wide applications including computer accounts, corporate data, email, LMS, IDM and WCMS
- Maintains and applies up-to-date knowledge of discrete and integrated information systems elements relevant to your area of responsibility (hardware, software, and network)
- Positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.