Summary of Duties
Reports to the Manager II, Public Communications (Major Projects). Implements public engagement and communications strategies to support Major Projects, with an emphasis on data collection and analysis, community relations strategy, marketing and promotion, and digital media communications.
- Serve as a contact with the public and the media; develop and execute communication, social media and digital strategies to fully inform and engage the public and relevant stakeholders about Major Projects and plans.
- Make recommendations regarding community relations strategies to promote Major Projects.
- Develop templates and protocols relative to community engagement processes.
- Manage and supervise staff with respect to assignments, performance appraisals, development opportunities and conduct matters.
- Develop proposal processes for consultants and external contracts; manage consultants with respect to contract implementation and deliverables.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external suppliers, consultants and contractors.
- Design and implement engagement and data collection strategies, utilizing canvasses, surveys, focus groups and public forums. Determine metrics for assessing promotional and communication strategies to ensure and report on effectiveness.
- Manage and implement public consultation and citizen engagement strategy to inform area residents, businesses and the public about plans and progress.
- Liaise and develop productive relationships with community associations, Business Improvement Associations and businesses impacted by Major Projects.
- Coordinate the design, production and publishing of key marketing, promotional and information materials across a variety of platforms including video.
- Develop content for websites and other digital news platforms; provide timely posts, updates and responses.
- Prepare information articles and good news stories.
- Research and draft materials including briefing notes, speeches, presentations, social media/web content and media materials.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the personnel assigned to Major rojects and other key personnel; ensure proactive communications and timely responses to emergent issues as required.
- Monitor media coverage, identify potential issues and develop related briefing materials for Major Projects leadership and others as required.
- Respond to public enquiries about the program and compile reports regarding public input.
- Engage in public outreach at community events.
- Assist with the development and distribution of community updates and reports relative to Major Projects and the City’s Strategic Plan.
- Attend planning and strategy meetings for Major Projects and Strategic Communications; attend Committee meetings as required.
- Manage media and other special events regarding Major Projects.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
University Degree or Community College Diploma in Communications, Journalism or Business. Accredited Business Communicator (ABC) designation or Accredited in Public Relations (APR) designation is an asset.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
Three to five years of experience as a proven communications professional with experience in issues management and brand/strategy development.
Superior interpersonal skills; effective written and oral communications skills.
Demonstrated capacity in the effective use of social media and a range of communications platforms.
Technical knowledge of graphic design, print, audio/visual productions and desktop publishing.
Experience coordinating communications events such as launches, stakeholder information events and press conferences.
Compensation and Other Information
$76,888 to $104,260
This position is being filled on a temporary basis up to 1 year.
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.